Minor release with small improvements but an important and necessary change in multiprocessing.
- After a recent change in multiprocessing, creating a pool of workers became very slow. This change was necessary because of race conditions in GDAL, but these conditions are rarely relevant to users. We now make this change in multiprocession optional (PR937)
- various improvements and changes in the dynamical model - mass-balance model API. These were necessary to allow compatibility with the PyGEM model (PR938, PR946, PR949, PR953, PR951). By Fabien Maussion and David Rounce.
- added a “flux gate” to allow for precise mass-conservation checks in numerical experiments (PR944). By Fabien Maussion.
The time stepping scheme of OGGM has been fixed for several flaws. This blog post explains it in detail. We expect some changes in OGGM results after this release, but they should not be noticeable in a vast majority of the cases.
We recommend all users to update to this version.
- The adaptive time stepping scheme of OGGM has been fixed for several flaws which lead to instable results in certain conditions. See the blog post for a full description. The API didn’t change in the process, but the OGGM results are likely to change slightly in some conditions. (GH731, GH860, PR931). By Fabien Maussion and Alex Jarosch.
Minor release of the OGGM model with several small improvements. We don’t expect major changes in the model results due to this release.
Important: this will be the last release under a GPL license. The next release (v1.2) will be done without modifications but under a BSD-3-Clause License.
- New function
cfg.add_to_basenamesnow allows users to define their own entries in glacier directories (GH731). By Fabien Maussion.
- New function
inversion.compute_velocitieswrites the section and surface veloicites in the inversion output (GH876). By Beatriz Recinos.
- Added ASTER v3 as optional DEM. Requires credentials to
urs.earthdata.nasa.govstored in a local
.netrcfile. Credentials can be added on the command line via
$ oggm_nasa_earthdata_login(PR884). By Matthias Dusch.
- Added a global task (
tasks.compile_task_timeand the associated method at the GlacierDirectory level
get_task_time) to time the execution of entity tasks (GH918). By Fabien Maussion.
- Improved performance of numerical core thanks to changes in our calls to np.clip (PR873 and PR903). By Fabien Maussion.
- Added a function cfg.initialize_minimal to run the flowline model without enforcing a full download of the demo files (PR921). By Fabien Maussion.
Minor release of the OGGM model, with several substantial improvements, most notably:
- update in the inversion procedure for calving glaciers (Recinos et al., 2019)
- new glacier evolution model based on Marzeion et al., 2012
We don’t expect major changes in the model results due to this release.
run_untilnow makes sure that the years (months) are not crossed by the adaptive time-stepping scheme (GH710).
run_until_and_storeshould now be consistent. The change is unlikely to affect the majority of users (which used
run_until_and_store), but the results or
run_untilcan be affected (PR726). By Matthias Dusch.
find_inversion_calvinghas been renamed to
find_inversion_calving_loopand will probably be deprecated soon (PR794). By Fabien Maussion.
use_rgi_area=Falsenow also recomputes CenLon and CenLat on the fly. (GH838). By Fabien Maussion.
- Added new
gridded_mb_attributestasks to add raster glacier attributes such as slope, aspect, mass-balance… to the glacier directory (PR725). This can be useful for statistical modelling of glacier thickness. By Matteo Castellani.
- Added support for a new DEM dataset: Mapzen, found on Amazon cloud (GH748, PR759). Also added some utility functions to handle DEMs, to be improved further in the near future. By Fabien Maussion.
- Added support for a new DEM dataset: REMA (PR759). By Fabien Maussion.
- Added an option to pre-process all DEMs at once (PR771). By Fabien Maussion.
- Added support for another evolution model: the volume-area-scaling based model of Marzeion et al., 2012 (PR662). This is a major enhancement to the code base as it increases the number of choices available to users and demonstrates the modularity of the model. By Moritz Oberrauch.
- Changed the way the calving flux is computed during the ice thickness inversion. This no longer relies on an iteration over mu*, but solves for h instead. The new function is likely to replace the “old” calving loop (PR794). By Fabien Maussion.
compile_run_outputare now faster for larger numbers of glaciers thanks to temporary files (PR814). By Anouk Vlug. Could be made faster with multiprocessing one day.
- OGGM can now run in “minimal mode”, i.e. without many of the hard dependencies (GH420). This is useful for teaching or idealized simulations, but won’t work in production. By Fabien Maussion.
- the flowline model gives access to new diagnostics such as ice velocity and flux along the flowline. The numerical core code changed in the process, and we will monitor performance after this change (PR853). By Fabien Maussion.
- Preprocessed directories at the level 3 now also have the glacier flowlines ready for the run (GH736, PR771). By Fabien Maussion.
- Nominal glaciers now error early in the processing chain (GH832). By Fabien Maussion.
- Specific MB (not used operationaly) was wrongly computer for zero ice thickness rectangular or parabolic sections. This is now corrected (GH828). By Fabien Maussion.
- Fixed a bug in model output files where SH glaciers were wrongly attributed with NH calendar dates (GH824). By Fabien Maussion.
Minor release of the OGGM model, with several bugfixes and some improvements.
We don’t expect any change in the model results due to this release.
graphics_plot_modeloutput_mapto work with merged glaciers (PR726). By Matthias Dusch.
- Added (and updated) an official task to find the calving flux based on the mass-conservation inversion (inversion.find_inversion_calving). This is still in experimentation phase! (PR720). By Beatriz Recinos.
- Added a mechanism to add custom MB data to OGGM (GH724). By Fabien Maussion.
- The ALOS Global Digital Surface Model “ALOS World 3D - 30m” DEM from JAXA can now be used as alternative DEM within OGGM. See our tutorial on how to set an alternative DEM (PR734). By Matthias Dusch.
- Switch to setuptools-scm as a version control system (GH727). By Timo Rothenpieler.
This is a major new release of the OGGM model, with substantial improvements to version 1. We recommend to use this version from now on. It coincides with the publication of our publication in Geoscientific Model Development.
New contributors to the project:
- Matthias Dusch (PhD student, University of Innsbruck), added extensive cross-validation tools and an associated website.
- Philipp Gregor (Master student, University of Innsbruck), added options to switch on lateral bed stress in the flowline ice dynamics
- Nicolas Champollion (PostDoc, University of Bremen), added GCM data IO routines.
- Sadie Bartholomew (Software Engineer, UK Met Office), added ability to replace colormaps in graphics with HCL-based colors using python-colorspace.
- The utils.copy_to_basedir() function is changed to being an entity task. In addition gcm_data files, when present, will from now on always be copied when using this task (GH467 & PR468). By Anouk Vlug.
- Accumulation Area Ratio (AAR) is now correctly computed (GH361). By Fabien Maussion.
- The method used to apply CRU and GCM anomalies to the climatology has changed for precipitation: we now use scaled anomalies instead of the standard anomalies (PR393). The previous method might have lead to negative values in some cases. The corresponding reference t* have also been updated (PR407). This change has some consequences on the the model results: cross-validation indicates very similar scores, but the influence on global model output has not been assessed yet. By Fabien Maussion.
- It is now possible to run a simulation with spinup in the standard workflow (PR411). For this to happen it was necessary to clean up the many *filesuffix options. The new names are more explicit but not backwards compatible. The previous filesuffix is now called output_filesuffix. The previous input_filesuffix is now called climate_input_filesuffix. The random_glacier_evolution task is now called run_random_climate for consistency with the other tasks See the PR linked above for more info. By Fabien Maussion.
- RGI version 4 isn’t supported anymore (GH142). By Fabien Maussion.
- Rework of the 2d interpolation tasks for ice thickness in the context of ITMIX2. The new interpolation are better, but not backwards compatible. Aside of me I don’t think anybody was using them (PR465). By Fabien Maussion.
- Diagnostic variables (length, area, volume, ELA) are now stored at annual
steps instead of montly steps (PR488). The old behavior can still be
used with the
store_monthly_stepkwarg. Most users should not notice this change because the regionally compiled files were stored at yearly steps anyways. By Fabien Maussion.
- The list of reference t* dates is now generated differently: instead of the complex (and sort of useless) nearest neighbor algorithm we are now referring back to the original method of Marzeion et al. (2012). This comes together with other breaking changes, altogether likely to change the results of the mass-balance model for some glaciers. For more details see the PR: PR509 By Fabien Maussion.
- The ice dynamics parameters (Glen A, N, ice density) are now “real”
parameters accessible via
cfg.PARAMS(PR520, GH511 and GH27). Previously, they were also accessible via a module attribute in
cfg, which was more confusing than helping. Deprecated and removed a couple of other things on the go, such as the dangerous `
optimize_inversion_paramstask (this cannot be optimized yet) and the useless
volume_inversionwrapper (now called
mass_conservation_inversion) By Fabien Maussion.
- The temperature sensitivity mu* is now flowline specific, instead of glacier wide. This change was necessary because it now allows low-lying tributaries to exist, despite of too high glacier wide mu*. This change had some wider reaching consequences in the code base and in the mass-balance models in particular: PR539. This will also allow to merge neighboring glaciers in the future. By Fabien Maussion.
- The “human readable” mu* information is now stored in a JSON dict instead of a csv: PR568. By Fabien Maussion.
- The global task glacier_characteristics has been renamed to compile_glacier_statistics (PR571). By Fabien Maussion.
process_cesm_datatask has been been moved to gcm_climate.py adressing: GH469 & PR582. By Anouk Vlug.
- The shapefiles are now stored in the glacier directories as compressed tar files, adressing GH367 & GH615. This option can be turned off with cfg.PARAMS[‘use_tar_shapefiles’] = False. By Fabien Maussion.
- Added a utility function to easily get intersects files (PR402). By Fabien Maussion.
- The old GlaThiDa file linking the total volume of glaciers (T database) to RGI has been updated to RGI Version 6 (PR403). Generally, we do not recommend to use these data for calibration or validation because of largely unknown uncertainties. By Fabien Maussion.
- The computing efficiency of the 2D shallow ice model has been increased by a factor 2 (PR415), by avoiding useless repetitions of indexing operations. The results shouldn’t change at all. By Fabien Maussion.
- Added optional shape factors for mass-conservation inversion and FluxBasedModel to account for lateral drag dependent on the bed shape (PR429). Accepted settings for shape factors are None, ‘Adhikari’ (Adhikari & Marshall 2012), ‘Nye’ (Nye, 1965; equivalent to Adhikari) and ‘Huss’ (Huss & Farinotti 2012). Thorough tests with applied shape factors are still missing. By Philipp Gregor.
- Some amelioration to the mass-balance models (PR434). Added a
repeatkwarg to the
PastMassBalancein order to loop over a selected period. Added an
UncertainMassBalancemodel which wraps an existing model and adds random uncertainty to it. By Fabien Maussion.
- The DEM sources are now clearly stated in each glacier directory, along with the original data citation (PR441). We encourage to always cite the original data providers. By Fabien Maussion.
- Added some diagnostic tools which make it easier to detect dubious glacier outlines or DEM errors (PR445). This will be used to report to the RGI authors. By Fabien Maussion.
- Added a new parameter (
PARAMS['use_rgi_area']), which specifies whether OGGM should use the reference area provided by RGI or the one computed from the local map and reprojected outlines (PR458, default: True). By Matthias Dusch.
- A new
simple_glacier_maskstasks allows to compute glacier rasters in a more robust way than the default OGGM method (PR476). This is useful for simpler workflows or to compute global statistics for external tools like rgitools. This task also computes hypsometry files much like RGI does. By Fabien Maussion.
- Reference glaciers now have mass-balance profiles attached to them, if
available. You can get the profiles with
gdir.get_ref_mb_profile()(PR493). By Fabien Maussion.
process_histalp_datataks to run OGGM with HISTALP data automatically. The task comes with a list of predefined t* like CRU and with different default parameters (see blog). The PR also adds some safety checks at the calibration and computation of the mass-balance to make sure there is no misused parameters (PR493). By Fabien Maussion.
process_cesm_datafunction has been split into two functions, to make it easier to run oggm with the climate of other GCM’s:
process_cesm_datareads the CESM files and handles the CESM specific file logic.
process_gcm_datais the general task able to handle all kind of data.
process_cesm_datacan also be used as an example when you plan make a function for running OGGM with another GCM (GH469 & PR582). Anouk Vlug.
process_dummy_cru_filetask to run OGGM with randomized CRU data (PR603). By Fabien Maussion.
- Colormaps in some graphics are replaced with Hue-Chroma-Luminance (HCL) based improvements when python-colorspace is (optionally) installed (PR587). By Sadie Bartholomew.
- Added a workflow
merge_glacier_taskswhich merges tributary/surrounding glaciers to a main glacier, allowing mass exchange between them. This is helpfull/neccessary/intended for growing glacier experiments (e.g. paleoglaciology) (PR624). By Matthias Dusch.
oggm_preprocommand line tool to run the OGGM preprocessing tasks and compress the directories (PR648). By Fabien Maussion.
- init_glacier_regions task now accepts RGI Ids strongs as input instead of only Geodataframes previously (PR656). By Fabien Maussion.
entity_taskdecorator now accepts a fallback-function which will be executed if a task fails and cfg.PARAMS[‘continue_on_error’] = True. So far only one fallback function is implemented for climate.local_t_star (PR663). By Matthias Dusch.
- New process_gcm_data task to handle CMIP5 files. By Nicolas Champollion.
- Remove dependency to deprecated matplotlib._cntr module (GH418). By Fabien Maussion.
- Fixed a bug in tidewater glaciers terminus position finding, where in some rare cases the percentile threshold was too low (PR444). By Fabien Maussion.
- Fixed a caching bug in the test suite, where some tests used to fail when run for a second time on a modified gdir (PR448). By Fabien Maussion.
- Fixed a problem with netCDF4 versions > 1.3 which returns masked arrays per default. We now prevent netCDF4 to return masked arrays altogether (GH482). By Fabien Maussion.
v1.0 (16 January 2018)¶
This is the first official major release of OGGM. It is concomitant to the submission of a manuscript to Geoscientific Model Development (GMD).
This marks the stabilization of the codebase (hopefully) and implies that future changes will have to be documented carefully to ensure traceability.
New contributors to the project:
- Anouk Vlug (PhD student, University of Bremen), added the CESM climate data tools.
- Anton Butenko (PhD student, University of Bremen), developed the downstream bedshape algorithm
- Beatriz Recinos (PhD student, University of Bremen), participated to the development of the calving parametrization
- Julia Eis (PhD student, University of Bremen), developed the glacier partitioning algorithm
- Schmitty Smith (PhD student, Northand College, Wisconsin US), added optional parameters to the mass-balance models
v0.1.1 (16 February 2017)¶
Minor release: changes in ITMIX to handle the synthetic glacier cases.
It was tagged only recently for long term documentation purposes and storage on Zenodo.
v0.1 (29 March 2016)¶
Initial release, used to prepare the data submitted to ITMIX (see here).
This release is the result of several months of development (outside of GitHub for a large part). Several people have contributed to this release:
- Michael Adamer (intern, UIBK), participated to the development of the centerline determination algorithm (2014)
- Kévin Fourteau (intern, UIBK, ENS Cachan), participated to the development of the inversion and the flowline modelling algorithms (2014-2015)
- Alexander H. Jarosch (Associate Professor, University of Iceland), developed the MUSCL-SuperBee model (PR23)
- Johannes Landmann (intern, UIBK), participated to the links between databases project (2015)
- Ben Marzeion (project leader, University of Bremen)
- Fabien Maussion (project leader, UIBK)
- Felix Oesterle (Post-Doc, UIBK), develops OGGR and provided the AWS deployment script (PR25)
- Timo Rothenpieler (programmer, University of Bremen), participated to the OGGM deployment script (e.g. PR34, PR48), and developed OGGM installation tools
- Christian Wild (master student, UIBK), participated to the development of the centerline determination algorithm (2014)